Thursday, July 28, 2011

Plan Derailment

So, I left work yesterday with big plans to render down all of the cheap bacon clogging up my freezer, use part of the bacon for pasta, part of it for sandwiches, and to use the bacon fat to confit some lovely pork shoulder I picked up on Tuesday.

Then I got home. Begin plan derailment.

I live in a duplex with a small front lawn. Mowing the lawn is a challenge, as there is no storage space for a lawnmower. I have attempted various solutions to this over the last several years, from hiring a neighbor to mow it, to buying a manual push mower. For the last two years, I have had an agreement with the neighbors in the other half to mow my side when they mow theirs - it takes about 5 min or less to mow the front of my side.

So, when the grass started to get a bit long a week and a half ago, I asked them if they wanted me to mow it. they said no, don't worry about it, we'll mow it before we move.

So, they finished moving out at about 2am on Monday night. They didn't mow the grass before they left.

Ok, no problem. I would go borrow Dad's lawnmower on Saturday, and mow the grass.

Except for the fact that one of my neighbors, who runs a forum that my dad is a member of, was kind enough to post up pictures of all the houses in his little area of the world with overgrown lawns on Tuesday. With commentary and complaints. He claims to have mowed my lawn twice, and complained about it.

I was completely unaware he had ever cut my grass. He did not have my permission to do so, and was certainly never asked to mow the grass. If he mowed my grass, it was of his own free will. He has also never bothered to mention to me that he had issue with my grass being long, and he didn't contact my landlady about it either, to my knowledge.

Well, his post completely PO'ed my father.

So, I get home yesterday to find the grass cut. Ok, I guess that my landlady mowed the grass, or my neighbors weren't completely gone. *shrugs* Then I get to the porch, to find that someone had chained a small lawnmower and a gas can to the porch.

W.T.F.!!

So, I called my landlady to find out what was up with the lawnmower. No answer. Then I called my parents to let them know the thing I ordered was here, and I would bring it over in a bit.

And my mom was surprised that I wasn't calling about the lawnmower. ...... Mystery solved! So I asked her why there was a lawnmower chained to my front porch. Well, as previously mentioned, my dad was majorly PO'ed about the posting on the forum, so he went out Wednesday morning, found a small lawnmower, some chain, and a gas can, came over to my house while I was at work, mowed my half of all the grass, then chained my new lawnmower to the porch, and told my mom to tell me to come get the key from their place.

.........

.....

Ok. This whole situation was news to me, and I still don't get why dad even got involved other than potentially calling me to tell me to cut my grass. Whatever.

This did completely derail my plans of rendering down bacon though. I ended up at my parents house for the evening, and got nothing I had planned done. Joy. so, tonight I get to try to deal with the bacon and the marinade for the pork as well as class and everything else I have to do this evening.

*headdesk**headdesk**headdesk**headdesk*

No comments:

Post a Comment